Friday, June 10, 2011

Something you need to take care of ......!


I wouldn’t get into the statistics, but it is a common knowledge that numerous girls, especially in India, are anaemic. This post is just to let you know, what are the not-so-obvious effects of Anaemia in your daily life and what best can be done about it.






I have been suffering from Anaemia since past 6-7 years. I am no Doctor, so I will not be technical. I would just like to share all the things that I have experienced all these years.


Like any other girl, I used to believe that it is no big deal to be anaemic. You must have heard that Anaemia causes hair fall, difficulty in breathing, paleness – that is it. But it doesn’t stop here.


As you must be aware that Haemoglobin is the Oxygen carrier in the body; less Haemoglobin leads to difficulty in breathing. What begins as a mild breathing problem, grows into continuous and prolonged fatigue. This fatigue is physical as well as mental. While you feel sleepy and lethargic all the time, you also grow extremely irritable and impatient. You get panic-stricken easily and you are always confused. (No kidding) Not just the thinking ability is adversely affected but your memory is also weakened.


On the emotional side, the person is easily provoked and becomes extremely short- tempered. Not just this, you are very easily moved to tears at the slightest bit of a provokation. (No kidding here too, this has been scientifically proven!) You end up being perpetually depressed.






For a blog, all this may sound like ‘gyan’ but when you come to think of it, it actually is very serious. For me, it affected my performance in studies and co-curricular activities; my friendships and my relationships. It was difficult for people to understand my behaviour and problem when seemingly, everything was alright!


In all, Anaemia reduces your efficiency drastically. It drains you physically, mentally and emotionally. And worst of all, it is kind of a vicious cycle. 


Now while these were all the reasons behind taking Anaemia seriously, here are some solutions that worked for me.


Pomegranate ~ it is a blessing for people who are anaemic. You can feel the difference within a week of regular intake. I find it extremely boring to sit and take out each and every seed from the fruit so I took it in the form of juice. Trust me, it works wonders! Then of course there are the Green Leafy Vegetables that come to your rescue.


A lot of people take Iron supplements for this. But what is worth knowing is that the absorption of Iron in the body requires Vitamin C. That is the reason why people keep complaining about the inefficiency of these Iron Supplements.


I have recently started taking Iron and Vitamin C Supplements which are Amway products. I find them good. Lets hope they get me out of this. :)


My intention behind writing this post was to spread whatever little awareness that I can, about Anaemia. My request is, take it seriously and spread the knowledge. If not much, I hope this post helps you to understand the psyche and condition of an anaemic person so that you do not judge him on his strange behaviour and extend a helping hand to get him/her out of it. :)





No comments:

Post a Comment